Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas is...

Ever since I was a little girl, Christmas has been my favorite time of the year. There's just something magical in the air. People are nicer. It's the season of giving and loving and caring. And for one moment, it seems the whole world is aware of the loving miracle that is Jesus Christ. Do I foolishly believe that every person celebrates Christmas as the birth of Jesus Christ? No. Do I even get caught up in the lights and gift-giving and snowmen? Yes.

For me, Christmas has always been magical. It's a time of warmth and happiness and love. As my husband and I were driving home from the beach the other night, we passed a small little rundown house that was draped in gaudy Christmas lights. I pointed it out to him and explained that when I was little, I thought that type of thing was gorgeous. My parents would load us in the station wagon (not sure if that's a proper noun or not...what car maker even patented the station wagon?), and we'd ride around for hours searching out Christmas lights. It is one of my fondest Christmas memories that I hold close to my heart.

Though now that I'm older, I prefer the simplicity of some nice white lights and wreath, there's something about those huge multicolored lights strung haphazardly around a house that make my heart smile. There's a house near us that is simply nearly in shambles,steps detaching themselves from the house, tin roof rusted and aged, but each year, the owner pulls out her Christmas lights and for a season, it's one of the happiest sights in our neighborhood. To me, gaudy Christmas lights do to that house what Christ does to our lives.




Let's face it, we are ugly people...covered from head to toe in the filth of our sin, but when we let Christ shine through us, the dull ache of our lives vanishes and is replaced with an unmistakable glow. The light of Jesus Christ transforms us in the same way the Christmas lights can transform any old house. Let's let our transformation be for more than just a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment