Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fasting

Each year, my church participates in a churchwide fast following Jenetzen Franklin's model. We fast for 21 days, praying for God to move in our lives and praying for various breakthroughs. My parents are doing the Daniel fast (no meats, sweets, breads, processed foods), but I have decided to fast soda, Facebook, and my spirit of negativity, more specifically, complaining.

In the past few days, I've begun to notice how often and how quickly a complaint rises on my lips. Whether it's a negative statement about myself or another person, a complaint about my workload or our finances, I am not nearly as positive as I would like to be. I know that this negativity does terrible things to my spirit and to my witness, so I am fasting this negative trait that has bombarded my life. It is my hope that God will take it completely away from me.

As for soda and Facebook, they are addictions. Soda is not healthy for me and yet I partake in it anyway, and Facebook distracts me from many other things I could be doing with my time. I am fasting Facebook as a way to refocus my priorities. At first when I was making the decision to fast, I considered Facebook, and this voice in my head said, "No way! That's too hard!." A much quieter nagging voice kept pestering me, reminding me that this wasn't supposed to be easy.

So here I am, Day One. My Facebook app has been deleted from my phone. When I attempt to go to the website at school, luckily, this is what I see:

No comments:

Post a Comment